SUNDAY OCTOBER 1
To be a Christian
Imitating Christ’s Humility
2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. 5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.
The congregation were asked to work in small groups and to think about the Philippians reading (Philippians 2:1-13) and how we would appear to others if we chose to honour Christ..
- How does a Christian act?
- How does that show in a Christians life day to day as seen by others.
- Are there any issues particular to LGBT+ people in how to BE a Christian?
- How is your life different as a Christian, how should it be?
Give us a practical list of things we can do in our daily lives.
The answers below are worth pondering. Each set of bullet points came from a different small group.
How is your Christianity apparent in your life?
- Be unselfish
- Loving people from all walks of life
- Praying about needs
- Caring about well-being of others
- Eg. Homeless, mental health issues, prisoners
- Working for social justice for the disempowered and voiceless
- Accepting one’s self
- Be non-judgemental
- Acknowledging the holy spirits support
- Being more open-minded
- Forgiving ourselves and others
- Forgiving, caring, generous, gently assertive
- Love yourself first
- Rely on the power of the Holy Spirit
- Think of others first
- Show kindness and generosity to others
- Put ourselves aside
- Discard old hurts and injustice and discrimination
- Have hope, love
- Live in Jesus
- Eternal hope
- Promise of things to come
- Love others
- Do justice
- Show mercy and walk humbly
- Acts of kindness in service
- Putting others first
- Do unto others, treat others with respect and dignity
- A good person is kind to their animals
- Act kindly towards others and creations
- We all stand before God
- Equal before God
- Don’t be selfish, do things to bless and encourage
- Not just for your own gain, do what God wants
- Working together as a community with no competition.
- No conceit – the other person is better than yourself.
- Working for justice
- Be forgiving, not petty
- Be kind, don’t judge, want the best, support unconditionally
- Be nice. Think of other people’s interests
- Be polite, treat with respect
We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has the world’s goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. (1 John 3:16-18)